Friday, June 21, 2024

the older I grow, the more apt I am to doubt my own judgment

--- Ben Franklin, speech to the Federal Convention, 17 Sept. 1787 (The Founders' Constitution, Volume 4, Article 7, Document 3)

Excerpt

I confess that there are several parts of this constitution which I do not at present approve, but I am not sure I shall never approve them: For having lived long, I have experienced many instances of being obliged by better information or fuller consideration, to change opinions even on important subjects, which I once thought right, but found to be otherwise. It is therefore that the older I grow, the more apt I am to doubt my own judgment, and to pay more respect to the judgment of others.

Via A.J. Jacobs, in conversation with Russ Roberts, EconTalk podcast 6 May 2024, Living with the Constitution (with A.J. Jacobs)