Thursday, August 27, 2020

My favourite results were those that didn’t quite look like something I’d made, yet felt like something I meant

 --- Gaby Wood, in LRB Podcast Gaby Wood: How to Draw an Albatross, June 16, 2020, a reading of her piece "Diary," London Review of Books, Vol. 42 No. 12 · 18 June 2020

In describing her attempts to use a camera lucida:

The drawings were semi-conscious, made at great speed in order to record an illusion, the way you might wake up and try to write down what had happened in a dream. My favourite results were those that didn’t quite look like something I’d made, yet felt like something I meant.

Another nice quote comes from her description of etching practice

As a novice etcher, I have spent quite a bit of time thinking about ‘states’. Although I’d seen references to an etching’s state – ‘second state of four’, ‘fifth state’ and so on – I hadn’t really taken in what it meant. When you make an etching you tend to work on it in layers, and often over a long period. Painters do that too, but when you’re etching the only way to see the result is to print it (apart from anything else, the print is backwards in relation to the plate). The finished plate, which can be used for hundreds of near identical prints, will have produced printed records of its younger selves, or ‘states’. Of course, you don’t have to call your early trials ‘states’ – you could just call them rubbish and throw them in the bin. But artists often make editions of different states, and collectors might acquire several of them. There’s an acknowledgment, when dealing with this medium, that one image is haunted by its ancestors or alternates.

Here's the image of the albatross from the LRB piece