Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Those who know better, should do better

--- Arnold Kling, in conversation with Russ Roberts on the Econtalk podcast, April 6, 2020, about he revised edition of his book The Three Languages of Politics

In context

Russ Roberts: I see this book, in a way, as an attempt to reshape the culture and to think differently about our political disagreements. One of the problems I have with it is, I think it appeals to you and me. And most people don't want to learn that other language of their opponents. They don't want to empathize. . . . [So] for most people, they're not so interested in what you're selling. How do you react to that?
Arnold Kling: That may be true. I think if you're trying to--if I were trying to sum up a prescription of this book, and I don't have this phrase in the book. Like, this is one of these things that I keep thinking about as I go along, and I sometimes come up with better formulations. But, I would say my phrase would be, 'Those who know better, should do better.'